Hens cackling, goats bleating, a parakeet singing in the aviary and trees thronged with wild birds. That sums up Urban Oasis: it’s full of life. An open activity centre for all, young and old, located in one of the city’s little-known green gems in the ‘Old People’s Town’ retirement community in Nørrebro.
Urban Oasis started as a local environmental initiative. Today, it is a properly staffed, council-funded area where residents and daycare centres have small allotments. Here, residents’ groups and occupants of the retirement community known as the ‘Old People’s Town’ grow vegetables in raised beds.
There are also lots of animals for children and adults to interact with. Pygmy goats live in a special fold in the middle of the large lawn. The rabbits have their own hutch, and the hens have their own chicken run. Elsewhere, there are mice and guinea pigs. All of this is situated on and around a large lawn with mature trees, where you can relax on the grass with a book or an iPad, or eat your picnic at one of the tables on the green.
Because Urban Oasis is part of the ‘Old People’s Town’, there is plenty of opportunity for contact and interaction between the generations. In a large square in the middle of the Town is a big orangery that serves coffee, accompanied by the chatter of canaries, budgies and parakeets in their aviaries.
An outdoor kitchen and a bonfire site are to be found on the big lawn. Urban Oasis, which is open to all, organises events throughout the year.
Photo: Søren Rud
- Play, bonfires, open-air cooking, picnics, growing vegetables, pet zoo, green playground, aviaries.
- Nature activities for all ages.
- Open weekdays 9:30–17:30 (in winter, 9:30–16:00). Weekends and holidays 10:00–13:00
- Urban Oasis was originally an old, almost unknown area of parkland in the ‘Old People’s Town’. In 2008, a group of local residents from an environmental centre in Nørrebro began creating an active green oasis in the old park. They received support from many quarters.
- Since January 2014, Urban Oasis has been staffed by council employees.
- Urban Oasis’s vision is to promote nature, the environment and health in Nørrebro. It serves as a gathering place for children and young people from various target groups, who take part in a range of activities based on these three themes.
- There are several mature trees and a large lawn.
- The paths and squares are suitable for wheelchair users.
- Coffee is served in the orangery. Food and drink is available from local shops.
2200 Copenhagen N
Tel. (+45) 20 58 42 72