With 11 million visitors per year, Copenhagen Common is hardly a secret. But it still holds a lot of surprises for anybody who hasn’t been there for a few years. Following extensive renovations, there are hardly any limits to the activities here on the Common – an expanse of greenery surrounded by a dense growth of trees.
For the last hundred years, the Common has had several football pitches. Parties, musical events and the traditional 1 May meetings are all held here. People run, walk and sunbathe on the large green lawns and children paddle in the pool.
Recent additions include Northern Europe’s largest skate park, a number of playgrounds and activities for all ages. In the sensory garden, adults and children enjoy fragrant plants, touch different materials and shapes and try out the maze. There is a skate park suitable for children, young people and adults alike.
At the north-eastern end of the park is an area for outdoor activities, where children and adults play and train. It includes swings, small football pitches, a sand pit, a climbing area and places to warm up before exercise and warm down again afterwards.
There are also plenty of opportunities to enjoy nature around the lake or among the trees. Denmark’s national football stadium, Parken, is right beside the Common.
Photo: Scanpix/Bax Lindhardt
DATA & LINKSFælledparken
2100 Copenhagen Ø
- Skate park
- Sensory garden
- Sunbathing… and much more.
- The Common was originally grazing land for cattle. It was also used as a place of execution.
- The Danish statesman and de factor ruler of the country at one time, Struensee, was executed here in 1772 before a crowd of 30,000.
- ’It was also the site of the 1872 ‘Battle of the Common’, when the police beat demonstrating workers and imprisoned their leader, Louis Pio.
- The labour movement has held its May Day celebrations on Copenhagen Common since 1890.
- Groves and woods of beech and oak. Along the lake, conifers, Caucasian walnut, weeping willows and flowering herbaceous borders.
- There are over 65 different species of bird in the park and several different kinds of bat.
- Toilets for the disabled and wheelchair users.
- Café Pavilion, in the middle of the park, is open during the summer from 12:00 (Sunday 11:00).