The King’s Garden
The King’s Garden is the oldest park in the city and has existed for more than 400 years. Originally a private royal garden, it today attracts approximately three million visitors every year. On hot summer Sundays, you might have to fight for space on one of the lawns. In summer, the puppet theatre stages two performances every day (except Mondays).
The park first opened to the public in 1770, and they quickly embraced it as the only large, open area within the ramparts at the time. Today, the paths are still as straight as in Christian IV’s day but little else remains of the original garden.
It has in fact changed style several times. It is famous for the many tall trees along its two old avenues, the Knight’s Path (Kavalergangen) and the Lady’s Path (Damegangen), and for its crocus lawn and rose garden. It is also the site of Northern Europe’s longest herbaceous border, at 240 metres.
Next to the Hercules Pavilion – which contains a café – is an adventure playground inspired by the park’s history, with dragons guarding their eggs, a forest of poles that looks like a maze and a sandpit crossed by a suspension bridge.
A host of events are held here, including concerts, summer ballet and a sculpture biennale. The King’s Garden offers something for everyone all year round, whether it’s live music, rounders, croquet, picnics or a winter stroll on a frosty day.
Photo: Scanpix/Christian Lindgren